New College Summer Programs, University of Toronto
For nearly 20 years, New College at the University of Toronto has run summer sessions of English language programs and activities camps for international youth between 12 and 18 years of age. All students attend general English language classes in the morning while some also attend specialized English language classes in the afternoons. All students participate in supervised, coordinated cultural activities after their classes and on weekends.
We are currently seeking enthusiastic, qualified individuals for the following summer position:
1. Senior Youth (15 – 18 years old) language instructor– General English Program
2. Junior Youth (12 – 14 years old) language instructor – General English Program
- Using objectives-based curriculum and teacher-sourced materials to plan lessons for 3-hour classes per day
- Focusing on oral and listening skills, but incorporating all skills and systems where appropriate
- Assessing student skills through placement tests and project-based assignments
- Maintaining attendance records
- Completing evaluation forms for each student
At the rate of pay of $32.00 per hour, the contracts run from
a) July 1 – July 25 (inclusive of Canada Day holiday, 10:00 – 1:00, M-F)
b) July 8 – July 25 (10:00 – 1:00, M-F)
c) July 29 – Aug 23 (inclusive of Civic Day holiday, 10:00 – 1:00, M-F)
d) Aug 8 – Aug 23 ( 10:00 – 1:00, M-F)
with 4% vacation pay and 2 hours of marking.
The possibility of extensions from a) and b) for c) and d) contracts is dependent on the teachers’ suitability and enrollment.
This position is ideal for current Ontario elementary and high school teachers with a passion for international students or TESL qualified instructors with international youth experience. We are unable to provide employment opportunities beyond the summer. However, many instructors return to this program every summer.
- a) A Bachelor of Education degree, or
b) TESL Canada certification, and
- Experience teaching international youth.
University of Toronto is an equal opportunity employer. Only applicants who meet the above criteria will be considered. Only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Please email your resume and cover letter addressed to Tyson Seburn, Academic Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please do not phone or drop in for unscheduled meetings. Thank you.